Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My curiosity !!!

From being into the legal field to becoming a Stained glass artist (Original Stained glass - Tiffany style!!! thats important!!) it has indeed been a colourful journey... in fact this is just a start :)  Absolutely love what I do, love my each creation, excited about each piece I craft and nothing like fusing smiles and exclamations on the faces of friends and clients... it means more than fusing lead onto the Glass.
Anyways... would love to share a small experience through my blog here. Its about my curiosity. My  'Narcissistic personality disorder' infected 'Curiosity'. After reading the latest article about 'Glasshopper' and 'Me' on Citizenmatters.in/ Bangalore. Heres the link - http://bangalore.citizenmatters.in/articles/view/2700-stained-glass-glasshopper  dated 18th January 2011, today I curiously typed 'Glasshopper' in the Google search box. First search was my website and Map to my studio in defense colony, my facebook page, my twitter link, an article on me when I was featured in 'Time Out', Bangalore and many other things related to my work. "I am growing... Wow!!!" - a positive thought made me smile. The common thing that one reads in all the articles written on Me (Time Out, DNA, Citizen matters, Femina etc) that I am NOT an artist. Yes! Thats true and I am Not ashamed to say that. I create, The idea behind each product is mine, I am clear what I want to create and what should be the size, glass and colours involved, I make several ugly designs, cut hundreds of pieces and fuse till I do not come up with What I exactly want... but the only thing I lack is Drawing! I Can't Draw or sketch my thoughts on paper (only a meek rough design ) I ask my friends Girija, Mayuresh, Debu, Anuja to help me with drawing, spend hours on it till I start my work and then create a glass article with that.
Anyway... getting back to the Google search, I happened to read a link about Glasshopper which I never knew existed. I mean.. come on.. My Narcissist curiosity has always been there... and how come I did not see this :o ???
A lady named Lakshmi Nagarajan who writes Blogs on Interior design called 'Dress up your Homes' (rated among the best interior design blogs around : o)  had written about Glasshopper. No Homework done, No contact with the artist (probably even did not know whether the artist is a male/ female/ young/ old/ dead/ alive/ whatever) :) She stumbled upon my website (coz the my work pictures she has uploaded on her Blog... are downloaded from my website ) further comparing my one year old work to another famous and thoroughly skilled artist, making it loud and clear about her 'Illiteracy' in differentiating an original Stained Glass panel from a Glass painting. Although she promptly mentions that she has Not seen my work personally, so why write incorrect things if you have no knowledge about the artists' work???  Miss Dress your Home... why write if you do not know the artist in person and if you do not wish to check with the artist before writing about Him/ Her or their works??? Why write Random blogs? Is that why your Blog is one of the top searched ones??? What makes you say that My work may be paintings and  NOT original stained Glass?  Learn to check your findings if you are NOT sure... don't blame it on the textures and photos of my art.. claiming that they are NOT CLEAR.
Every artist, however Big or small, famous, poor, whimsical, crazy, steady... deserves Credit for his work. Let the Art speak. I give credit to each of my friends who draw these beautiful things that I make, to the people who work with me at Glasshopper. Its difficult and it is a struggle to be recognized for your art work especially when you give up a super cushioned Job to cut glass :)

Friends,
Here is the link to the article - http://www.dressyourhome.in/2010/06/29/glasshopper-another-glass-studio-in-indira-nagar/

Ooopsss... End of the day, I am the same old Legal practitioner :P fighting for Art this time :P :P and finally - "Ignorance is Bliss... but Curiosity  is lethal... it murders Ignorance" - Thats my line :P
All you people - Be creative!!! :)

Join Glasshopper on Facebook - www.facebook.com/glasshopper19

Website - www.glasshopper.in

8 comments:

Rajiv Chalke said...

Ridiculous!!... If one did not have proper info A) don't write B) have a chat find out about GH C) Google!! all your previous posts/coverages should be there online, on FB etc. And mainly those pictures are you artworks and also your photographs too ( I presume). How can someone use those without your permission.?? Am not sure what to make of this article...it's not entirely negative, but can give you negative publicity, else we can take it as another coverage. But honestly... good or bad comments should have been after decent amount of probing into what you actually did...talking to you and seeing your work in the actual form and then use one's expertise in whatever field of art to categorize and make critical comments (could have even helped you analyze yourself and improve if convinced). But I guess everyone will have their ways of giving their opinions. Nonetheless, you keep going on Saarus:), you're doing a great job! Let your work do most of the talking.

Glasshopper said...

True!!!
How can she take MY work photographs and publish it on her blog without My permission??? When I wrote this blog... I immediately sent her the link to this Blog via email and did not write behind her back :)

Vaibhav said...

Totally agree with Rajiv!
She has no right to talk about what she doesn't know!
Have you tried writing her asking about this?
She should correct her statements!

Keep up the good work!

Glasshopper said...

@ Vaibhav - Yes. I wrote to her. As I said immediately after writing my blog I emailed her the link. Also wrote another mail asking her about publishing my work photographs without my permission. Also have saved her blog... did a copy paste. Just in case she deletes it :P

Glasshopper said...

Guys - Another link to her blog where a photographs asks her to rectify her mistake about NOT giving him the credit for his own photograph which she copy pasted on her blog. So I am not the only person giving it back to her :)
http://www.dressyourhome.in/contact/

L said...

Glasshopper:

Firstly, as far as the comment in contact section goes, take a moment to read my response to Cornelis as to where I spotted the picture (Elle Decor). So would you like to question them as to why the source was not credited?

Secondly, let's not use this as a publicity stunt because I did not visit your studio and interview in person for a positive feedback. I have mentioned clearly I have not visited in person , that doesn't stop anyone from expressing their views in an online medium. It's as good as asking why write a bad review about a movie? I stick to what I have written. I have not claimed the images as my own and have edited to add the source.

Hope this clarifies.

Glasshopper said...

My blog too mentions that You promptly mentioned of not having visited my studio :) I totally agree to that, but you should have at least added "Pic courtesy by glasshoppe.,in" ???? You edited it NOW... after 6 months???
Did I ask you for free publicity? My website and my facebook page exists for over a year with my contact number and email id. Could you not drop one single line to me? In your email you say - " You know what..to hell with giving free publicity for budding studios
like yours" who asked you for this free publicity? Did I ask?
In fact I even did not know for past 6 months that a section in somebody's blog includes Glasshopper pictures and random review. Don't you feel like sharing it with the artist??
Amazing how can people write a review without watching a movie???

Secondly, I refuse to believe that a magazine like 'Elle Decor' (I am a subscriber) will not credit an artist for his work and randomly publish images.
My work speaks itself, I do not need free publicity.
Good Luck with your Blogs :)

ADDU said...

hey sarus......
why r u even repyin this lady????
she doesnt even deserves your comments and your replies....common yaar...the world is NOT that tech-savy.....that any tom-dick-harry gets up and goes on writing sum blah-blah and ppl start beliving it.....and as a fact of the matter, she must know that you ARE a lawyer and have a SANATH to send her a legal notice of her WRONG DEED..
..any ways, all i wanted to add that u are a proud daughter of Vasant mama!!!! and like him....let your work speak for u.....u dont need any bugging blog to give u a gud or bad publicity!!!!
...i know u would go on....and we all want u to!!!!